snmpd b0rken?

Michael O'Donnell mod+gnhlug at std.com
Fri May 2 10:50:25 EDT 2003

I'm a novice SNMP hacker and decided to play around
with snmpd and scli just for fun.  Just my luck;
it looks like I've stumbled over a way to scrog the
snmpd (UCD-snmp 4.2.5) within my first two minutes
of experimentation.  Does anybody know this snmpd to
be busted as described, or care to recommend another?

I'm running the snmpd out-of-the-box as installed by
the most recent Debian package and then starting scli
and saying just these two things:

   open localhost
   show

...which is I realize is likely incorrect usage.

That command sequence has (what I assume is)
the undesireable effect of making snmpd (as
observed via strace) go from a blocked state
(waiting in select) to doing some kind of mad
dance.  It starts dashing all over the place
repeatedly opening and closing the same files
but never reading those files or generating
any output or doing anything (that I'd regard
as) useful.  Meanwhile, scli is saying "timeout"
on a regular basis.  If I exit and restart scli
it is unable to open a new connection until I
kill and restart the snmpd.  The snmpd seems
to be committed to its mad dance that it isn't
enough to use the /etc/init.d script to zap it -
it needs to be killed explicitly

 % scli
 100-scli version 0.2.12 (c) 2001-2002 Juergen Schoenwaelder
 scli > open localhost
 100-scli trying SNMPv2c ... good
 (localhost) scli > show
 /   0.00 vps   8.00 vpm
 500 noResponse
 500 noResponse
 500 noResponse
       .
       .
       .
       .
 ^C

 % scli
 100-scli version 0.2.12 (c) 2001-2002 Juergen Schoenwaelder
 scli > open localhost
 100-scli trying SNMPv2c ... timeout
 100-scli trying SNMPv1  ... timeout.
 500 SNMP communication error (timeout)