Comcast changes naming convention

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Fri May 2 12:42:53 EDT 2003

In a message dated: Fri, 02 May 2003 11:32:36 EDT
Jack Hodgson said:

>As I said, I am only an egg... but as I understand it, I could use
>the mac-address-based-hostname to make an entry in a DNS (CNAME???)
>that would automatically direct connections to the current IP,
>regardless how often it changes. But now I need to fall back to the
>"script on my client always checking the current IP and updating the
>DNS" method. That works OK, but it's less elegant, it seems to me.

Oh, I didn't quite grasp what you talking about.  Well, before, no,
you didn't really need to script it since your IP was tied to the MAC,
it *didn't* change withouta lot of effort on their part.   Which
means that you could probably easily run a DNS server with a domain
entry for your IP address without much worry.  However, when it did
change, you'd have to manually update the DNS record.

Now, since this name change has made it easier for them to change to
IP more frequently, sure, you run the risk of needing to change your
DNS records more frequently, but that shouldn't be a big deal.
I'd rather have that scripted my self anyway :)

--

Seeya,
Paul