Comcast changes naming convention

Ben Boulanger ben at blackavar.com
Fri May 2 13:10:57 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2 May 2003 pll at lanminds.com wrote:
> >As I said, I am only an egg... but as I understand it, I could use
> >the mac-address-based-hostname to make an entry in a DNS (CNAME???)
> >that would automatically direct connections to the current IP,
> >regardless how often it changes. But now I need to fall back to the
> >"script on my client always checking the current IP and updating the
> >DNS" method. That works OK, but it's less elegant, it seems to me.

If this kind of thing is really a concern to you, maybe a description of
my setup would help:
	Zoneedit (free) hosts my DNS records
	They have a URL that allows you to dynamically update your IP

	I can simply do a wget to zoneedit's dynamic update page and my
new IP pops in there all on its own.  Very slick - even if I were to
switch providers or had to temporarily hop onto a dial up for some reason.

Note:  I have heard, strictly rumor, that the DHCP server is changing and
that's why the MAC->hostname thing is going away.

Ben