[OT] SGI Indgio2 console

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Sun May 4 15:20:54 EDT 2003

Hello list,

  At Hosstraders over the weekend, I managed to pick-up an SGI Indigo2
workstation, with monitor, for real cheap.  Perhaps a little too cheap, for
although the system powers on and I hear the boot "music", I get no picture
on the screen.  The monitor stays in "power save" mode.

  I think it is actually booting the OS, because there is a fair amount of
disk activity after power on.  After a minute or so, it stops.  If I hit the
"soft" power button, there is more disk activity until the system powers
itself off.  I tried re-seating the graphics boards and checked the cable
connection; still no picture.  I figure either the graphics adapter is bad,
the monitor is bad, or the signal cable is bad.  It's just a question of
which.

  I have another monitor which would probably work, but I would need to get
an adapter/cable to hook it up.  The SGI has the "wide plug with three fat
pins" style connector, while my monitor can take either 15-pin VGA, or BNC.
Anyone here know what I need, and how to get it?

  Alternatively, according to the manual (PDF from SGI's website), serial
port one on the machine can be used as a serial console.  The problem is
that the serial ports are round, DIN-style connectors (almost (but not
quite) like a PS/2 keyboard/mouse connector).  Anyone here know where I
might get an adapter/cable to turn *that* into a standard DB-25 RS-232
cable?

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntilinux.com>