[OT] SGI Indgio2 console

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Sun May 4 21:45:22 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-05-04 at 15:20, bscott at ntisys.com wrote:
> Hello list,

>   I think it is actually booting the OS, because there is a fair amount of
> disk activity after power on.  After a minute or so, it stops.  If I hit the
> "soft" power button, there is more disk activity until the system powers

I think that does shutdown too.

>   I have another monitor which would probably work, but I would need to get
> an adapter/cable to hook it up.  The SGI has the "wide plug with three fat
> pins" style connector, while my monitor can take either 15-pin VGA, or BNC.
> Anyone here know what I need, and how to get it?

Look for SGI FAQs on google.  Of course, you probably already did
this... http://obsolyte.com/ is a good one to start with.

There are a number of people that collect them.  The Indigo2 was pretty
cool when it came out.

>   Alternatively, according to the manual (PDF from SGI's website), serial
> port one on the machine can be used as a serial console.  The problem is
> that the serial ports are round, DIN-style connectors (almost (but not
> quite) like a PS/2 keyboard/mouse connector).  Anyone here know where I
> might get an adapter/cable to turn *that* into a standard DB-25 RS-232
> cable?

Older macintoshes had the round connectors too.  The pin out was
completely different.  You might be able to cut one up & rewire it.