dd'ing a Win2K drive - Should this work?

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Tue May 6 16:36:10 EDT 2003

In a message dated: Tue, 06 May 2003 16:31:04 EDT
dbunker at boston.com said:

>If it was the third drive in the system, then the boot loader for win2k is
>probably on /dev/sda somewhere, or possibly replaced by lilo or grub if it
>was dual booted with linux.  Win2k can reside on any drive, but the boot
>loader has to be on the first drive the bios sees.

I believe that Win2K was installed when it was in the /dev/sda slot,
then subsequently moved to the /dev/sdc slot, and Linux was then
installed/booted from the new /dev/sda.

>The system can be saved if you go through the install process and do a
>repair. It should put the win2k boot loader back on.

Hmm, but if it *has* to be on the first drive, then they're in trouble :)

Thanks for the info!
--

Seeya,
Paul