suggestions for CVS use

Bob Bell bbell at hp.com
Thu May 8 15:45:49 EDT 2003

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 11:13:00AM -0400, pll at lanminds.com <pll at lanminds.com> wrote:
> Make no doubt about it, from a development tool perspective,
> ClearCase is an immensely powerful tool, and I honestly have never
> seen anything which can do what ClearCase is capable of.  That being
> said, it's also rare that I see an environment using CC which is
> properly set up to take total advantage of the power and flexibility
> of CC.  To do so requires a decent sized release engineering team
> well versed in CC administration, deep pockets to by lots of
> hardware, and a great sysadmin team which also understands the
> intricacies of CC from a sysadmin perspective.

    HP is probably one of those rare shops.  I'm complete new to CC, but
it seems like the framework HP uses to manage the HP-UX source in CC is
of the caliber you say is required.  There are multiple VOBs around the
world with multiple admins at each site, hierachies of task branches,
different views, etc.  HP also uses an set of in-house tools (Jazz) as
a front end to basically all the CC command.  These tools supposedly
make CC easier to use and enforce the additional business logic that has
been decided on for managing the HP-UX source.

    Incidentally, the head of all things ClearClase for HP-UX lives in
Hollis, NH, which has been rather helpful for us new HP employees.

--
Bob Bell <bobbell at zk3.dec.com>