Routing question

Ben Boulanger ben at blackavar.com
Fri May 9 15:52:33 EDT 2003

On Fri, 9 May 2003 pll at lanminds.com wrote:
> Sure, but which one do I put into /etc/sysconfig/network?  Both, or
> just one?

Just one - the one you want to use - since they're both valid, flip a
coin.

> >	These are really questions about "does 35.0/24 know how to get to
> >	37.0/24?" and visa versa.  If the answer is yes... and you still
> >	can't ping 10.241.37.70 from Paul, you may want to be sure that
> >	the linux box isn't arping across itself... there's something in
> >	/proc to turn that off.
>
> Hmmm. okay.

So, judging by that, "Paul" can ping 10.241.37.1 and "Ben" can ping
10.241.35.1, but not the linux interfaces?  I'll go look up that proc
file if so.

> >	If the answer is "no" then you'll want static routes between
> >	10.241.37.1 and 10.241.35.1.  Either that, or you can turn on
> >	ip forwarding and have the linux box bridge the networks
> >	(generally a bad thing if you're not the network admin)
>
> Right.  I don't really want forwarding or bridging, I just want to
> get to each NIC from anywhere.  This shouldn't be that complicated,
> why is it ? :)

I'll note here that even having a box on both networks is "bad" if they're
segregated for a reason.. seems like both are internal networks, which
isn't so bad, but I've seen people put a box on a DMZ and the internal
network... eep!

--

When planning for a year, plant corn. When planning for a decade, plant
trees. When planning for life, train and educate people.