global search and replace

Erik Price eprice at ptc.com
Tue May 13 11:48:37 EDT 2003

bscott at ntisys.com wrote:
> On 13 May 2003, at 10:53am, greg.rundlett at buzgate.org wrote:
>
>>But what I really want is to have this integrated into my editor.
>

>   You would need to open all <large-number-of-files> into your editor.
>
>   Is that desirable?

I thought that many text editors let you perform a search/replace on all
files in a specified directory?  jEdit offers PCRE regexes to do this,
as well as all subdirectories, and doesn't open up the files into a
buffer in order to do so (so yes, you should be able to perform a search
on a few hundred files at a time without running out of memory).

Erik