Mostly OT: Accessing a remote Oracle database

Bruce Dawson jbd at codemeta.com
Wed May 14 18:14:37 EDT 2003

Am I missing something, or do I really need to load Oracle on my Linux box
just to access a remote Oracle database?

Hasn't Oracle released a remote client/API for Linux (binary even)?

The overhead of installing Oracle is astounding - which I can understand
if I'm hosting the database, but not if I just want to access one
remotely.

Sorry, for the OT, but I found it surprising that (after several hours of
searching (and giving up searching the Oracle site)) there's no Linux
based client RPM-like thingy that I can install on my workstation to
access an Oracle DB on a server. And I suspect someone in the group has
run into this problem before.

--Bruce