Mostly OT: Accessing a remote Oracle database

Richard Soule Richard.Soule at oracle.com
Wed May 14 18:46:21 EDT 2003

Bruce,

I would just download Oracle JDeveloper which should have both the
client libraries (Oracle Net) and the JDBC drivers depending on how you
want to access things. While it is large, it is not quite as large as
the database itself.

I did a quick check internally at our software library and it looks like
we make a client only CD for the Win platforms, but not the Linux
platform.

These things are often related to demand, and I'll imagine that we have
not seen a large demand for a Client Only CD for Linux.

I'll put a bug in the Linux team's ear about maybe putting something out
on OTN.

If you don't need to have something that is specifically for Oracle then
the theory is that you should be able to use any JDBC/ODBC client.

A search on Google turned up these folks:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?D65113294

They claim that they are even faster than the 'real Oracle client'.

Rich