SCO declares war on Linux (A study in self-immolation)

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Thu May 15 10:13:07 EDT 2003

(From the Inquirer)
A study in self-immolation

By Egan Orion: Thursday 15 May 2003, 10:27
"Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth..."
-- Shakespeare, Julius Caesar, Act III, Scene 1

HAVING FINALLY READ the GNU General Public License all the way through,
SCO Group today announced that it is suspending Linux sales.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9506

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/05-14-2003/0001947129&EDATE=

I thought it was interesting that SCO would sue IBM, but this seems to
be bizarre. I think that the Inquirer's subhead is quite appropriate.
For one, this kind of hurts United Linux (since SCO was one part of it),
but I'm wondering what affect this will have on the Linux community in
general.
My thoughts are:
1. It will not affect most of the techies who have been on the Linux
bandwagon for a while. (And, I don't think that the techie crowd was
altogether fond of SCO/Caldera in the first place).
2. Commerial users of Linux. There are some state and local governments
in the US as well as governments elsewhere in the world using (or
planning to use) Linux.
3. BSD Unix.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>