Mostly OT: Accessing a remote Oracle database

pll at lanminds.com pll at lanminds.com
Thu May 15 15:24:53 EDT 2003

  Ben> I know both the DBD::mysql and DBD:Pg drivers need the native C
  Ben> libraries to work.

But aren't they included when you install these drivers?  IOW, you
don't need to explicitly install the Pg or MySQL client libs,
installing the DBD stuff includes them?  Hmm, as I think about this,
I realize I'm probably wrong.  It's never affected me before, since
I've always had all this stuff installed before-hand anyway.
(that, and apt-get automagically solves the dependancies for you :)

  Ben> I went and looked up DBD::Oracle on CPAN, and it says it uses
  Ben> the"Oracle Call Interface libraries", which I presume are part
  Ben> of the Oracle client set.

Okay, I stand corrected.  I could have sworn I read somewhere the
Perl DBD Oracle drivers did not need anything from Oracle.

Oh well. Sorry for the misleading information. (now I remember why I
like sticking with free software.  It's free, and just an apt-get
away, even on RH :) !
--

Seeya,
Paul