SCO declares war on Linux (A study in self-immolation)

Erik Price eprice at ptc.com
Thu May 15 14:04:46 EDT 2003

Jason Stephenson wrote:

> This is all part of a larger struggle that's going on right now. Not to
> put too dramatic a point on it, but there is a very real battle for
> control going on in the United States. Large corporations are trying
> harder and harder to gain control over the means of production and
> distribution, while the ready availability of relatively cheap computers
> and Internet access have leveled the playing field such that anyone can
> literally compete with the big boys. The business community is headed
> one way and most of the culture is headed the other. Unfortunately, the
> corporations have the money to buy the laws and the justice that they
> want. Fortunately, most people don't let the law govern their daily
> lives, until the heavy hand of "justice" gets a hold of them.

Agreed.  Look at that college kid who wrote the campus-wide search
engine.  Didn't the RIAA try to blast him for some ridiculous sum of
money?  (Hundreds of millions of dollars?)

As soon as I pay off my consumer debts, I'm going to start making
donations to the EFF.  That's one of the few resources that people have
when the "heavy hand of 'justice'" -does- get a hold of them.

Erik