The origins of SCO (was: SCO declares war ...)

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Thu May 15 14:22:10 EDT 2003

On Thu, 15 May 2003, at 1:38pm, jason at sigio.com wrote:
> BTW, wasn't SCO UNIX originally Xenix, Microsoft's UNIX?

  There isn't a "SCO UNIX", AFAIK.  There is UnixWare and OpenServer.  One
is based on the old Xenix code (I forget which).  Xenix is/was one of the
most brain-damaged Unixes I've ever seen.  I'd honestly rather use
MS-Windows.  The other is the AT&T System V UNIX code.  It is, I believe, a
direct linear descendant of the original Unics [SIC].  It's been bought,
sold, and given away so many times I forget exactly who owned it when.
Novell eventually got ahold of it.  They sold it to either SCO or Caldera (I
again forget which), before they became one.

  SCO is/was also involved in the development of "Merge", the DOS-on-Unix
software that now powers Win4Lin.  I know they still sell it.  I don't know
if they still control any of it.  I hope not; I like Win4Lin.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>