[gnu/]linux fracas in may 1999 and GNHLUG archives

jim.mcginness at att.net jim.mcginness at att.net
Tue May 20 13:11:20 EDT 2003

Thanks to Bill Sconce's stimulus, I find that I have a pretty fair record of
the thread, too, online and exportable if need be (though putting the messages
into chronological order might be a task). What I have runs from 4 May through
25 May 1999 (I don't seem to have the founding message exchange between Lee
Rothstein and Suzanne Hillman from 3 May). Plenty of Stallman, no Christiansen.

Since Lee's original message contained the rather unique
word 'adisingenuousLee', I tried searching for archives on the web using it. No
hits anywhere I tried (Google, AltaVista, DogPile).

Contemporaneously with the fracas, Bruce Dawson sent out a message about how
large the GNHLUG mailing list archives had grown and said that they were
available at

http://linux.codemeta.com/archives/gnhlug.html

These may still exist, but I got a '403 Forbidden' when I tried to access them.
Bruce??? Also, Bruce mentioned here, in Jan 2003:

http://www.mail-archive.com/gnhlug-discuss@mail.gnhlug.org/msg01995.html

that he was considering accepting donations of archived messages to rebuild the
list history. I've lost track of whether any of that happened. I don't go all
the way back to the beginning of the list, but I certainly have most everything
from Nov 1998 forward. [What a packrat!]