Looking for Some Advice

brian lists at karas.net
Tue May 27 09:44:22 EDT 2003

This doesn't answer most of your suggestions, but I thought I would
throw out this alternative option...

I'm in a similar situation at work, 99% linux stuff (I'm running RH 9 on
my personal workstation, and use OpenOffice, Mozilla, Ximian, and
SSH/vi/console mostly), there are a few windows things I have to do
(access corporate ACT database (which I am converting into a web/MySQL
application), etc).

I have a laptop that I run Win2K on.  I use rdesktop to termserv into my
laptop when I need to run windows applications.  This means I don't have
to shut down everything and boot into Windows to look up a small bit of
information, or access some other windows app.

If you are looking into this as a potentially workgroup-wide change, a
single machine running Win2k that is accessible remotely to several
users will allow for more productivity (IMO) than running a bunch of
clunky dual-boot setups.

HTH