rsync, passwords and getting my logs

Greg Rundlett greg at buzgate.org
Tue May 27 13:37:39 EDT 2003

I just want to get my log files off another server, using cron, on a
daily basis, so that I can run analysis locally.

I figured the best way to get the logs would be to use rsync, since i
would need to specify a password in the cron/shell script, and I know
that rsync supports a password.

So, I tried this command (n is just to do a test run):
rsync -vn --rsh=/usr/bin/ssh
JoeUser at buzgate.org:/usr/home/buzgate/www_logs/* /var/log/httpd

according to man rsync, I can either use a password file and the
--password-file option, or I can set the environment variable
RSYNC_PASSWORD to avoid the password prompt when scripting rsync

The password-file option certainly didn't work (i would still get
prompted for a password), and even

export RSYNC_PASSWORD="myPassword"

isn't working.

If I

echo $RSYNC_PASSWORD

i get myPassword, so I know that the variable is set.

/me stumped.

If you know what I'm doing wrong, or if you just know an easy way for me
to scp or rsync a log file from cron I would be very happy.

Merci,

Greg

--
Greg Rundlett