Large file transfer

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Thu May 29 17:11:43 EDT 2003

On Thu, 29 May 2003, at 2:48pm, mebaugh at earthlink.net wrote:
> I am attempting to move a 43G file from a Mac to another machine for
> temporary archival purposes.  The only machine (RH7.2) that has enough
> storage is on a different network, so it has been mounted on a different
> machine (RH7.3) that is connected to both networks.

  Could you describe that a little more specifically?  In particular, how is
what mounted where?  For example, "FOO is running MacOS X 10.1.2, BAR is
running RHL 7.3, and BAZ is running RHL 7.2.  BAZ has a large EXT3
filesystem which it is exporting via Samba to BAR, which has it mounted via
smbfs.  BAR then re-exports that filesystem via Samba again.  FOO has the
filesystem from BAR mounted using the SMB support built-in to MacOS X."

  To help narrow down where you are hitting the limit, you might try this:

  First, on the RHL 7.2 system (the one with the large disk storage),
attempt to create a large file:

	dd if=/dev/zero of=/path/to/testfile bs=1M count=4096

  That will take some time, and likely cause the system to slow to a crawl,
so use some care.  If it works, remove the test file (that will also take
some time).

  Next, on the RHL 7.3 system (the go-between), attempt to create a large
file over the network:

	dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/firsthost/path/to/testfile bs=1M count=4096

  That will take even longer, and likely cause both systems, and every other
computer in the same collision domain, to slow to a crawl.  Use more care.
If this isn't your network, you might want to ask you admin first.

  You get the idea.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>