Large file transfer

Bayard Coolidge bayard at tds.net
Thu May 29 17:15:15 EDT 2003

Mark Ebaugh wrote:

 >>> What am I missing here?

A couple of Alpha systems to do the dirty work... Although my work
experience was steeped in Alphas, it wouldn't surprise me if there were
now some other 64 bit architectures out there that could also do this
transfer for you seamlessly, but it might take some research.

As other GNHLUG members have pointed out, there are a plethora of
issues with this that you'll need to carefully examine, and determine what
distributions might have a chance at supporting these large files, and what
kernel versions might be required for the IA32 architecture.

I realize that all of the research may seem like a real PITA, but OTOH,
if you're playing with a system with files like that, I'm sure someone has
considered a backup strategy, haven't they? I suppose one hard way to
do it might be to spool it all out onto a tape, and then suck it back in
from
another system. *shudder*

Just my 20 millidollars worth,

Bayard