OT: Video formats

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Mon Nov 3 17:29:04 EST 2003

On 3 Nov 2003, at 1:13pm, ken.lussier at zuken.com wrote:
> My digital camera does 1 minute movie clips. However, it writes them as
> .MOV files, which I can only seem to view with Quicktime (even though the
> manual says that they are "Motion JPEG" files). Does anyone know how I can
> convert these files to mpeg, or another more useable format?

  Apple QuickTime is a "multimedia framework" and not an encoding.  So your
.MOV file may well have a standard MPEG encoded stream inside it.  The hard
part is getting at it.  Presumably, it should be possible to extract the
MPEG stream to a standalone file, but I don't know how.  I've traditionally
used "xanim"  to play .MOV files under Linux.  Maybe you could start there.

  FYI and FWIW, I'm told newer stuff can actually make use of the
binary-only decoder libraries from MS-Windows to play QuickTime files
encoded with proprietary mechanisms, at least on Linux i386.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>