Novell to acquire Suse

Cole Tuininga colet at code-energy.com
Tue Nov 4 13:33:48 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 13:18, Dan Coutu wrote:
> Paul Lussier wrote:
> The biggest burr in my butt so far has been trying to get the systems so
> that I can use X
> applications (like xemacs) on the servers that display back to my
> desktop via an SSH
> tunnel. The servers do not have X installed on them because they're not
> workstations. But
> it sure would be nice to be able to start X applications there and
> display them on my
> X server.

Make sure you have xbase-clients installed (which contains xauth, etc),
make sure that the sshd_config file (normally /etc/ssh/sshd_config on
debian) has "X11Forwarding yes" turned on.

Restart ssh, log out, log back in. Don't forget to turn on the request
for X forwarding by adding -X (capital X) to your command line, such as:

ssh -X user at host

Theoretically, this "should" do the trick.  8)

--
"Pay attention son!  You've got the attention span of an art major in a
 computer cluster!"  - Sam Stoddard

Cole Tuininga
Lead Developer
Code Energy, Inc