Novell to acquire Suse

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Tue Nov 4 14:02:37 EST 2003

> The biggest burr in my butt so far has been trying to get
> the systems so that I can use X applications (like xemacs) on
> the servers that display back to my desktop via an SSH tunnel.
> The servers do not have X installed on them because they're not
> workstations.  But it sure would be nice to be able to start X
> applications there and display them on my X server.
>
> Perhaps I'm just encountering a severe shortage of information,
> knowledge, or both.  Given that I've been working with UNIX systems
> for over 15 years the knowledge shortfall would have to be something
> specific to Debian though.

It's certainly possible that you can legitimately
ascribe your problems to Debian.  Another explanation
might be that you've overlooked something that's
applicable to *any* situation involving X.  Would you
care to tell us what you've done so far in your
attempts to get those X clients to use the remote
(desktop) displays?  Somebody here might be able to
help you, and in any case such an exchange in a forum
like this might be interesting to others, as well.

Just for starters (for example) have you verified that
the X servers on the desktop boxes don't have their
"nolisten" options selected, via either their command
lines or their config files?  The servers won't even
be willing to consider inbound connection attempts
from external hosts unless instructed that it's OK...