Tunneling a protocol over ssh

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Thu Nov 6 18:40:24 EST 2003

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, at 8:19pm, fj1200 at comcast.net wrote:
> ... Win2k desktop system at work running a VNCviewer ... What I would like
> to do is set up an ssh tunnel so that I can view my Linux system at home
> which so my thinking is that I should be able to use one of the *nix boxes
> to tunnel the VNC connection via ssh over port 22 ...

  From your diagram, it appears as if your home Linux box has a public IP
address, via the cable Internet provider.  (Hopefully it has a firewall
configured on it, too.)  Furthermore, it sounds like you are running an SSH
server on the Linux box.  It also sounds like you are using PuTTY as your
SSH client.  Is this correct?  If not, please clarify; my example depends on
this.

  For the sake of discussion, I will assume you have a VNC server running on
the Linux box, with VNC display number ":1".

  To connect to that VNC server:
  1. Start PuTTY
  2. In the "Category" tree, select Connection -> SSH -> Tunnels
  3. Add a forwarded port:
    a. Enter 5901 for the "Source port"
    b. Enter "localhost:5901" for the "Destination"
    c. Select "Local" for the type of forward
    d. Click the "Add" button
  4. Return to "Session" in the "Category" tree
  5. Connect to IP address of your home Linux box with PuTTY.
  6. Once the PuTTY session is running, open the VNC Viewer program.
  7. Tell VNC viewer to connect to "localhost:5901".

  The port number 5901 is based on the VNC display number plus 5900.  If
your VNC display is something else, adjust accordingly.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>