Tunneling a protocol over ssh

Chris fj1200 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 7 08:06:23 EST 2003

bscott at ntisys.com wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, at 8:19pm, fj1200 at comcast.net wrote:
> > ... Win2k desktop system at work running a VNCviewer ... What I would like
> > to do is set up an ssh tunnel so that I can view my Linux system at home
> > which so my thinking is that I should be able to use one of the *nix boxes
> > to tunnel the VNC connection via ssh over port 22 ...
>
>   From your diagram, it appears as if your home Linux box has a public IP
> address, via the cable Internet provider.  (Hopefully it has a firewall
> configured on it, too.)  Furthermore, it sounds like you are running an SSH
> server on the Linux box.  It also sounds like you are using PuTTY as your
> SSH client.  Is this correct?  If not, please clarify; my example depends on

Yes I do have a firewall at home.....

all systems are connected via a linksys router/fierwall

No, I am OK with putty on the Win2k box at work end

It is at the private IP 192.168..............    of my linux box that I am not
sure about...

I want to be able to see my linux desktop on my Win2k box at work....  or even
my linux boxes at work

I was looking for a simple tunnel option in the ssh manual, but couldn't find it

I was looking for a command like

ssh -T   5901:localhost:x homeipaddress

in other words, tunnel port x on this machine over port 22 and then send it to
5901 on the remote machine

but there is no such command......