OT: e-commerce using osCommerce

Travis Roy travis at scootz.net
Fri Nov 7 13:40:15 EST 2003

> Since now I have to implement a 'full' e-commerce solution for the
> Knowledge Institute (buzgate.org), I wonder if Dave or anyone could help
> me out by defining the major steps and time allocated to creating a full
> osCommerce installation (like a project outline).  For example, is
> setting up and testing the SSL site through your host a one day affair,
> or a one week ordeal?  Do you self cert, or pay for a Thawte
> certificate?  What about using a web-host certificate?  Are there any
> rules-of-thumb for the amount of work that goes into maintaining your
> osCommerce shop after the store opens?  And lastly, what if any catch is
> there to setting up the shipping calculator.  The last time I tried
> (with a developer account at USPS), it wouldn't work.

I set up the Signull store (http://store.signull.com - great antennas).
As long as you've set up SSL in the past it should or have a decent
ammount of apache experience it shouldn't take to long...

We got our cert at www.freessl.com's chained SSL cert. Never had a
problem, and it's cheap.

We use OSCommerce's built in UPS shipping calc.

Once the thing is set up it's just adding and maintaining prices. Super
easy.

> We only have a few products at the moment, but want the full flexibility
> and control that osCommerce offers vs. some 'service'.  Plus, we already
> have a bank merchant account with Fleet and can process credit card
> orders with a  small card-swiping device in the office.  I guess I'm
> asking what does it take to connect the two, and what advice can I
> benefit from?

Hrm, you can check the OSCommerce site for the CC stuff, we use
authorize.net. We try to avoid dealing with the CC stuff itself and let
it all get passed off to them so we're not liable.

> I'd like think I can complete this project in two weeks, but then again,
> I'm famously optimistic [grin].  With the projects I already have
> scheduled for November, it's looking like a mighty challenge.

Except for the CC stuff with Fleet that I have not had experience with,
you should be able to do this it a week, max. That includes adding a
fair number of products. If you go with the Chained SSL cert you'll have
it in less then an hour.