OT: e-commerce using osCommerce

Greg Rundlett greg at freephile.com
Fri Nov 7 13:35:05 EST 2003

Sorry to be off-topic, but I value your insights to this common challenge.

I've installed and played with osCommerce, up to the point of actually
doing the payment authorization and credit-card processing.  (See
shop.freephile.com)  I know that Dave Uhlman, and others on the list
have worked with it too - moreso than I have.

Since now I have to implement a 'full' e-commerce solution for the
Knowledge Institute (buzgate.org), I wonder if Dave or anyone could help
me out by defining the major steps and time allocated to creating a full
osCommerce installation (like a project outline).  For example, is
setting up and testing the SSL site through your host a one day affair,
or a one week ordeal?  Do you self cert, or pay for a Thawte
certificate?  What about using a web-host certificate?  Are there any
rules-of-thumb for the amount of work that goes into maintaining your
osCommerce shop after the store opens?  And lastly, what if any catch is
there to setting up the shipping calculator.  The last time I tried
(with a developer account at USPS), it wouldn't work.

We only have a few products at the moment, but want the full flexibility
and control that osCommerce offers vs. some 'service'.  Plus, we already
have a bank merchant account with Fleet and can process credit card
orders with a  small card-swiping device in the office.  I guess I'm
asking what does it take to connect the two, and what advice can I
benefit from?

I'd like think I can complete this project in two weeks, but then again,
I'm famously optimistic [grin].  With the projects I already have
scheduled for November, it's looking like a mighty challenge.

Thanks,
Greg

CTO
Knowledge Institute
creators of the Business Utility Zone GATEway (BUZGate.org)