Verizon email problems

Bruce Dawson jbd at codemeta.com
Tue Nov 11 20:00:52 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 16:31, Ed Lawson wrote:
> On 11 Nov 2003 16:49:06 -0500
> Bruce Dawson <jbd at codemeta.com> wrote:
> > You too have no reverse DNS entry for your IP address.
> > BTW: I note that no one has commented on this. Are people in disbelief
> > that this could be the problem, or is it that no one is understanding
> > what I'm saying?
> I cannot say I understand the specifics, but you would be
> surprised how common such problem can be.  I know of a large southern NH
> school district which had a broken MX record.  A mail list I run
> constantly unsubscribed everyone from that district for bounces and they
> complained that something was wrong with my mail system.
> I had to send them the info from running host on their domain to show
> them the busted MX record.

Yup. Customer belief can be a problem. Getting an ISP to understand can
be even more frustrating.

> So if Verizon will not accept mail that does not validate with reverse
> lookup it bounces, right?  So no reverse lookup, mail will bounce from
> anyone who does reverse lookup.  Since not everyone does, some work,
> some do not.  Have I got that right?

Correct. Just to clarify and reiterate: not all SMTP receivers require
their partner to have a reverse lookup. I believe sendmail does not make
this requirement in the default configuration.

I commented out the 'accept_unresolvable_domains' feature on CodeMeta's
mail server so that we wouldn't receive so much spam. (Which cut down
the spam load by about 50%). Note that CodeMeta's mail server isn't the
same one used by the GNHLUG mailing lists.

There are times when I wish I could do it to rogue.codemeta.com (the
system that has the GNHLUG mailing lists). But that would break a lot of
entries in the mailing list.

--Bruce

--Bruce