Verizon email problems

Ed Lawson elawson at grizzy.com
Tue Nov 11 16:31:04 EST 2003

On 11 Nov 2003 16:49:06 -0500
Bruce Dawson <jbd at codemeta.com> wrote:

> You too have no reverse DNS entry for your IP address.
>
> BTW: I note that no one has commented on this. Are people in disbelief
> that this could be the problem, or is it that no one is understanding
> what I'm saying?

I cannot say I understand the specifics, but you would be
surprised how common such problem can be.  I know of a large southern NH
school district which had a broken MX record.  A mail list I run
constantly unsubscribed everyone from that district for bounces and they
complained that something was wrong with my mail system.
I had to send them the info from running host on their domain to show
them the busted MX record.

So if Verizon will not accept mail that does not validate with reverse
lookup it bounces, right?  So no reverse lookup, mail will bounce from
anyone who does reverse lookup.  Since not everyone does, some work,
some do not.  Have I got that right?

Ed Lawson