Linux Business Proposals?

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Mon Oct 13 19:22:05 EDT 2003

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, at 10:55pm, brian at datasquire.net wrote:
> I was just curious if anyone has had any success with writing a proposal
> for their company to increase the use of Linux.

  Don't write proposals to increase the use of Linux.  Write proposals to
save (or make) the company money.  When appropriate, work Linux or other
Free/Open Source Software into those proposals.

  I can expand further on this topic if you like, but when you come right
down to it, the above is really what it's all about.

  All the usual bits about how to do a good presentation (target your
audience, don't provide too much or too little information, make it look
nice, make sure things are spelled correctly, etc.) still apply, of course.

> A recent announcement at the company I work for that they will be moving
> to a .NET base got me nervous.

  Avoid fighting against things.  Fight for things (like Linux) instead.
In other words, don't say "Microsoft is bad", say "Linux is good".

  Also: If your only objection to Microsoft products is that they're from
Microsoft, you have failed to make a good case.

  But again: Write proposals to save the company money, and work Linux into
those proposals where appropriate.  If you do that, these other problems
with your approach eliminate themselves.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>