Allowing remote root login

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Thu Oct 16 10:14:18 EDT 2003

Derek wrote:
>> P.S.  If you can arrange for my email address to NOT appear
   [...]
>I've made a similar request here and on other lists in the past.

 [ Well, now that MWL has pointed out that my header
   lines weren't laid out as well as they could
   have been, I (think I) have fixed them, so here's
   hoping that will go most of the way toward being
   a solution, at least in my case...                ]

(back to the ^Subject:) I haven't thought this through
but I'm wondering if it might be possible to rig SSH
such that each telnet client machine could "telnet
localhost" and that traffic could then be securely
tunneled over to the telnet server machine before
being handed off to the telnet daemon.  That might
address at least one of the concerns about allowing
root logins via telnet: passwords sent in the clear.
I guess that'd require an SSH client/server pair per
connection, right?  Is that acceptable?