IMAP debate [was Re: Blackberry-like device, MacOS X, and/or IMAP? ]

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Sat Oct 18 23:40:33 EDT 2003

plussier at mindspring.com wrote:
> In a message dated: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 13:21:22 EDT
> Tom Buskey said:
>

>>I'm using UW-Imap for imap (mbox/mbx is ok for small groups).
>>I'n not having any issues. How many is a large number of folders or messages?
>

> Based on the stupidity of the UW IMAP design, I'd never use it for
> more than a couple people in a non-critical environment.  It
> completely falls over with large numbers of users who have large
> folders with many messages with many large attachements.

I completely agree.  I had lots of issues at a site with 80 users with
10 of them having 1GB inboxes.  I think the number of messages and
attachment size has little to do with it.  It's the linear search
through a large file....

MBX has a bit of an advantage over mbox but not much.  I think there are
patches out there that let UW-Imap do maildir.