Video card?

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Mon Oct 27 23:00:45 EST 2003

ken at flyingtoasters.net wrote:
> Hi, all.  Looking for a video card.  I'd like it to be:
>
> o Well supported by -stock- XF86,
> o reasonably quick (does NOT have to be "latest and greatest")
> o reasonably inexpensive (preferably under $100)
> o support 1600x1200x16 or higher
>
> The first item is really the most important; I'd like this to be a video
> card I could start buying for a handful of machines, and not have to worry
> about downloading binary drivers, compiling third-party code, etc.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Ken

I have a Matrox G450.  1600x1280x32bits.  Dual monitor.  < $100.  Good
for 2d stuff.  Supported by XFree86.  Single monitor can use SVGA and
MGA drivers.  To do dual monitor use you do need to download a driver
for XFree84 4.03 - 4.2.1.  Matrox contributes to XFree86 so this might
get into the source.  Easy setup for dual monitor use.

Once you get used to dual monitors, you'll never go back.