Connecting to Comcast

Chris Brenton cbrenton at chrisbrenton.org
Tue Sep 23 06:03:40 EDT 2003

plussier at mindspring.com wrote:

> I've *finally* got a cable modem (after waiting about 7 years:)
> however, I can't seem to get Linux to connect.
>
> I've tried getting a dhcp address from the modem, but nothing happens.

I used Comcast for all of 3 months (went DSL instead). If memory serves,
they require you to run their registration app. I was able to run it
under Wine or CrossOver Office, I forget which. Once you register you
can nuke their app.

The registration is tied to the MAC address of your external NIC, so if
you ever swap Ethernet cards you have to re-register.

HTH,