KeyChain and Fedora

Greg Rundlett greg at buzgate.org
Tue Apr 13 08:55:00 EDT 2004

I use KeyChain [http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/keychain.xml] to automate
my ssh-agent so that I can do rsync commands from cron.  KeyChain *was*
activated by my .bash_profile.  This means that I would only need to
enter my private key password upon rebooting the system, but as long as
the system remained up, my cron jobs would work unattended as intended. ;-)

With RedHat 8.0, I would get a login XSession error that my session
lasted less than 10 seconds, and X would restart.  The second login
would work, so this 'bug' only forced two logins every time the machine
was rebooted.  With Fedora Core 1, this 'workaround' no longer works.
You can't login to X with KeyChain in your .bash_profile.  I removed
KeyChain from my .bash_profile and started the application manually by
simply running the 'Keychain' command from the shell.  This works fine,
you just have to remember to do it every time you reboot/login to the
system.

Hope this helps somebody.

--
Greg Rundlett
CTO

Free Resources for your Business
www.BUZGate.org www.BUZWorks.org www.NHVBI.org
(603) 642-4720 #3
greg at buzgate.org
"If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think
little of robbing; and from robbing he next comes to drinking and
Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination."
		-- Thomas De Quincey (1785 - 1859)