Property taxes (WAS: On Nh living and commutes..)

Dana S. Tellier dana.tellier at unh.edu
Fri Apr 23 10:58:01 EDT 2004

From: "Travis Roy" <travis at scootz.net>

> Also the people of Goffstown always bitch about the school (I would to,
> the 10 million dollar expansion project on the high school was a waste,
> they only got like 3-4 new classrooms, the rest was administration
> space) and what did they do this year.. Passed the new town funded
> kindergarten that they now have to find land for and build..

    It's unfortunate that so many school renovations seem to do that.
I've noticed that a lot in NH, especially.  It seems like they spend
millions for an addition that only nets them enough space for a year or two,
only to be full again.  I guess that's a case where saving a little now ends
up
costing you more *later*.
    I am (only mildly) ashamed to admit that I'm sort of gleeful about
what's going on in Bedford, though.  Having gone to school with many upper
class snobs from there (not to say that all folks in Bedford are like that,
of course), watching them try to get their own high school is amusing.
    Considering a town that has no street lights, no water & sewage, pretty
much... some of these people out there have nearly million dollar homes, and
they pay *nothing* currently for taxes.  Once they build a new high school,
they'll get eaten alive by their taxes, especially given people's
expectations in that town for a high school.

 - Dana