Property taxes (WAS: On Nh living and commutes..)

Travis Roy travis at scootz.net
Fri Apr 23 11:04:00 EDT 2004

>     It's unfortunate that so many school renovations seem to do that.
> I've noticed that a lot in NH, especially.  It seems like they spend
> millions for an addition that only nets them enough space for a year or two,
> only to be full again.  I guess that's a case where saving a little now ends
> up
> costing you more *later*.

What's funny is that the school was built to have another floor built on
top of it when this became an issue (so the total would be 3 floors).
But nobody freakin' thinks of that.. They also spent huge money on
upgrading the gym, and all they did was move the outside wall out some
more, and move all the seating to one side of the gym to widen an
already wide enough hallway..

>     I am (only mildly) ashamed to admit that I'm sort of gleeful about
> what's going on in Bedford, though.  Having gone to school with many upper
> class snobs from there (not to say that all folks in Bedford are like that,
> of course), watching them try to get their own high school is amusing.
>     Considering a town that has no street lights, no water & sewage, pretty
> much... some of these people out there have nearly million dollar homes, and
> they pay *nothing* currently for taxes.  Once they build a new high school,
> they'll get eaten alive by their taxes, especially given people's
> expectations in that town for a high school.

The best part is the Bedford kids go to West.. The worst high school out
of the three in Manchester (Memorial looks like a prison, but it's in
good condition, and Central is getting a brand spankin' new building)

Bedford is also kind of split like Goffstown is.. You have a village
area, then you have a more city like area (near the bedford mall).

Bedford also has stupid stuff like not letting people tear down their
own barns on their own property.. (corner of Wallace Rd. and 101).. I
was glad to see that thing down last time I drove by.