Property taxes (WAS: On Nh living and commutes..)

Michael Costolo mcostolo at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 23 11:59:00 EDT 2004

--- Travis Roy <travis at scootz.net> wrote:
> I remember that she wanted to tear it down because it was falling apart
> but the town wanted it to stay as a "historical building"

According to the NHPR story, it was in the town's designated "historic district" and
therefore its destruction was not entirely up to the whim of the owner.  I don't
have a problem with that.  And I'm guessing that Bedford is not the only town with
such restrictions.  Her argument about the "historic district" and the adjoining
strip malls on 101 was entirely valid IMHO.

> I'm sorry, if my town wouldn't let me tear down my old crappy barn for
> that stupid reason I would see to it that some punk kid either crashes
> into it with their old crappy car knocking it down, or a tree would
> "accidently" fall on it..

She inherited the property, but folks who purchase propery in historic districts are
made aware of the restrictions that come with it.

=====
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it"
-George Bernard Shaw