wipe utility

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Mon Aug 16 18:43:00 EDT 2004

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, at 12:53pm, puissante at lrc.puissante.com wrote:
> I keep my /tmp partition as ext2 for that sole reason. Anything sensitive
> goes there, and I can shred it afterwards.

  Just to tweak the paranoid a bit further: The US DoD says that "Secret"
and higher level classified data cannot be sanitized off of a hard disk by
software alone, as most hard disks automatically copy-and-remap degraded
sectors before the host OS even sees them, so parts of the disk could still
contain the data.  Only physical methods are sufficient.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>