wipe utility

Jeffrey Creem jeff at thecreems.com
Mon Aug 16 20:38:01 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: <bscott at ntisys.com>
To: "Greater NH Linux User Group" <discuss at gnhlug.org>
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2004 6:38 PM
Subject: Re: wipe utility

> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, at 12:53pm, puissante at lrc.puissante.com wrote:
>> I keep my /tmp partition as ext2 for that sole reason. Anything sensitive
>> goes there, and I can shred it afterwards.
>
>  Just to tweak the paranoid a bit further: The US DoD says that "Secret"
> and higher level classified data cannot be sanitized off of a hard disk by
> software alone, as most hard disks automatically copy-and-remap degraded
> sectors before the host OS even sees them, so parts of the disk could
> still
> contain the data.  Only physical methods are sufficient.

That is simply not true. DoD does allow for software only sanitization of
hard disks for
data classified at the secret level under some conditions.

http://www.dss.mil/infoas/index.htm

Right site bar has Assessed Products list.
They used to allow you to get in and download other stuff about sanitization
but much of it is now password protected.