Can't boot from Core 2 CD

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Mon Aug 16 23:09:00 EDT 2004

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, at 10:56pm, steveo at syslang.net wrote:
>> It's unclear from your message how far it gets before it "stops dead".
>> Does it display any messages at all?
>
> Absolutely zip. The screen stops dead black as soon as I hit return.

  Wow.  That's really weird.  At that point, everything should still be
using BIOS calls; Linux technically hasn't entered the picture yet.  In
fact, the system should basically think it's running from a floppy disk
(emulated by the CD).

  I'd check BIOS settings, both in the motherboard BIOS, and in the SCSI
host adapter.  Check for firmware updates from the manufacturers for both,
too.

  I'd also try using an old-fashioned floppy disk to boot the system, to see
if that makes a difference.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>