wipe utility

Fred puissante at lrc.puissante.com
Tue Aug 17 19:18:00 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 22:52, bscott at ntisys.com wrote:
>   That link didn't really shed any light on the subject; as you note, most
> of it is access-controlled.  It doesn't really matter.  My point was to
> illustrate that risk management means making intelligent decisions about
> assets, threats, vulnerabilities, and counter-measures.  Not unreasoning
> fear of journaled filesystems.  :-)

All joking aside, the *actual* threat can be hard to assess at times, so
one sometimes must make "paranoid" or worst case scenario decisions.

Some minimal approaches such as not using journaled filesystems on
sensitive data may not be perfect, but at least I sleep a bit better at
night. :-)

If I were really serious, I'd set up an encrypted partition with a
running cron job that expected a response from me every so often, and if
it didn't get that it would shred the partition along with the private
keys.

Some hard drives, btw, do come with their own security shredding
abilities built in. Don't know anything about how effective it would be,
but something I should look into sometime.

--
Fred -- fred at lrc.puissante.com -- place "[hey]" in your subject.
There are inflows and outflows -- and you're just a little node.