wipe utility

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Mon Aug 16 22:57:01 EDT 2004

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, at 8:33pm, jeff at thecreems.com wrote:
>> The US DoD says that "Secret" and higher level classified data cannot be
>> sanitized off of a hard disk by software alone ...
>
> That is simply not true. DoD does allow for software only sanitization of
> hard disks for data classified at the secret level under some conditions.
>
> http://www.dss.mil/infoas/index.htm
>
> Right site bar has Assessed Products list.

  That link didn't really shed any light on the subject; as you note, most
of it is access-controlled.  It doesn't really matter.  My point was to
illustrate that risk management means making intelligent decisions about
assets, threats, vulnerabilities, and counter-measures.  Not unreasoning
fear of journaled filesystems.  :-)

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>