Slightly OT - DVD+/-RW drives

Jeffrey Creem jeff at thecreems.com
Sun Aug 22 14:23:00 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Travis Roy" <travis at scootz.net>
To: "gnhlug-discuss" <discuss at gnhlug.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2004 12:29 PM
Subject: Slightly OT - DVD+/-RW drives

>I just got a DVD+/-RW drive (dual layer!).
>
> I was wondering what type of disk is the most compatible with the widest
> range of DVD players. I've found very conflicting reports online and I was
> wondering if any of you had more hands-on experience.

 - Stay away from RW (DVDs) if you are looking for standalone player
compatibility. Note that with
    newer plays this is much less of a problem but there are still a lot of
old players out there.
 - Jury is still out (in my opinion) as to how compatible the burned dual
layer disks will be
 - That leaves single layer -R and +R. If you just stick to these disks and
use decent authoring tools you will
    end up with very high compatibility.

According to current stats at VCDHelp.com

88% Support +R Disk
93% Support -R Disks

Note that in both cases one can find players that work with one but not the
other. So the problem is when it
comes to compatibility the %'s don't matter (they are both high) what
matters is does the disk work in the 2
to 10 players you need it to work in.

I usually like to have both kinds of media around. With the %'s being so
high for both I generally just burn on
what ever I have the most of laying around that meets my needs and then if
someone can't play it, I try the other kind.

And just to really add to the OT nature of this thread, I do have to say
that for any video burning I have done, I have not used Linux.