Auth/system-auth & POP3 daemon

Kevin D. Clark clark_k at pannaway.com
Tue Aug 24 09:06:01 EDT 2004

"Brian Chabot" <brian at datasquire.net> writes:

> Users can connect fine from the LAN side, but when they try to connect
> to the POP3 service on the WAN side, they report a 30 second delay.  I
> had a user with some technical knowledge running a traffic sniffer on
> his side (while at work with the help of his IT guy) and he says that
> the POP3 server is trying to connect to port 113 (AUTH/system-auth) on
> the client.  Same customer can connect fine from inside the LAN using
> the 10.x.x.x IP but did not have a sniffer at home.

The only way to be sure about what process is initiating this ident
request is to explicitly track down which process is initiating the
request.

So, during this 30 second window, type the following on the
POP3 server:

  lsof -i tcp:110

  ("netstat -np -tcp" will also work)

This will tell you which process is initiating the ident.

I'm betting that it is your x?inetd process.

Regards,

--kevin
--
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. That's the
 only way to be sure."   --Ripley