Auth/system-auth & POP3 daemon

Fred puissante at lrc.puissante.com
Tue Aug 24 09:32:00 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 08:58, Kevin D. Clark wrote:
> "Brian Chabot" <brian at datasquire.net> writes:
>
> > Users can connect fine from the LAN side, but when they try to connect
> > to the POP3 service on the WAN side, they report a 30 second delay.  I
> > had a user with some technical knowledge running a traffic sniffer on
> > his side (while at work with the help of his IT guy) and he says that
> > the POP3 server is trying to connect to port 113 (AUTH/system-auth) on
> > the client.  Same customer can connect fine from inside the LAN using
> > the 10.x.x.x IP but did not have a sniffer at home.

Another thing to check is where is the delay coming from. A
badly-configured stack on a Windows machine can take forever to resolve
an IP address. See if he can make other connections from home to the
server without the 30-second delay.

My in-depth Windows knowledge has been waning over the years (assuming
Windows is the client), so sorry I can't be more specific.

--
Fred -- fred at lrc.puissante.com -- place "[hey]" in your subject.
There are inflows and outflows -- and you're just a little node.