Free WiFI at Panera Bread on Amherst St, Nashua

Mark Komarinski mkomarinski at wayga.org
Thu Aug 26 09:50:01 EDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 10:23:01PM +0900, Derek Martin wrote:

> I haven't actually been to an Internet cafe in the west, but here in
> Korea if you go to one of the thousands of PC ?? on any street corner,
> you don't need to provide any information.  Is this different at
> hard-wired cafes States-side?  If it isn't, then there's no
> difference.  There's no accountability.  And personally, malware and
> other attacks notwithstanding, I think that's a good thing.  Anonimity
> and privacy are nice.  :)

I flew to San Diego last weekend.  Everywhere I went (Manchester Airport,
Philly Airport, San Diego Airport, Embassy Suites) had WiFi access, but they
all charged.  Average was about $10/24 hr access.  While Manchester and Philly
shared authentication, it looked like I had to pay separately for each airport
unless I got a monthly subscription.

I know some of the big players (Verizon/Sprint?) are starting to share
user info so each can use the other's network.  Hopefully this means that
in the near future WiFi access is as easy to use as cell phones.  Until then,
I'll have 3-4 different WiFi accounts. *sigh*

-Mark