Free WiFI at Panera Bread on Amherst St, Nashua

Derek Martin invalid at pizzashack.org
Thu Aug 26 13:00:01 EDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 09:36:36AM -0400, Travis Roy wrote:
> Somebody could also drive down the street and use an open AP from some
> moron that used the default settings linksys gave them.

This happens all the time.  I know people who do it.  Heck, I've even
known people who've done it for a living...

> With the way people are sue happy these days I'm just thinking about
> what's best for the place of business to cover their ass.

...assuming they have a clue about a) the technology and b) the legal
issues.  And assuming they care.  We're talking about coffee shopps
here, so that's a pretty big assumption....

> I'm assuming that they would get some kind of slack if they tried to
> reasonably account for who is on their network, rather then just leaving
> it wide open for everybody on the planet.

You're assuming they need slack.  My assumption is that they don't.
Whatever the law is doesn't tend to change who the sue-happy people
are...  They'll either get sued or they won't.  It doesn't matter what
the law is there.  It does, however, matter to decide who wins the
suit.

Unless someone runs out of money first...

-=-=-=-=-