FOSS POS apps - Re: Going OT [Was: Re: Replacing PBXes with Open Source]

bmcculley at rcn.com bmcculley at rcn.com
Thu Aug 26 11:07:00 EDT 2004

Interesting.

Would this possibly be a worthwhile project?  I mean the FOSS
development of a good POS package, not upgrading SoftPro?

Sorry, guess I've been doing product development too long, my
first instinct is to generalize the problem and invent a
solution for the entire class.  Is there a need for that here,
or does a sufficient foundation (FOSS packages or apps) exist
with the unmet requirement being just to adapt it to the
specific user's needs?

Does anyone know of any existing FOSS apps that would answer
this sort of need?  Or does this remain to be developed?

-Bruce McCulley

Mark Komarinski <mkomarinski at wayga.org> wrote:

>Maddog's presentation last month and his mention of SoftPro
removed some
>cobwebs in my head.
>
>When I was last at the SoftPro in Waltham (last fall maybe?)
I was talking
>to the manager and saw they're still using a DOS-based POS
and inventory
>system.  He said he'd love to get off it, but there aren't
any FOSS apps