Free WiFI at Panera Bread on Amherst St, Nashua

bscott at ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Sun Aug 29 23:40:01 EDT 2004

  Some additional commentary to add to this thread:

  * People have drawn the analogy to leaving your house unlocked and having
stuff stolen.  It's worth pointing out that, in the state of NH, if your
property is not clearly posted as being private, people who wander on to it
(or claim to have done so) cannot be charged with trespassing.  There was
even a movement in the state legislature to extend this provision to open
wireless networks (dunno how far it got).

  * My limited and outdated understanding is that ISPs do not necessarily
have the same "common carrier" status that traditional telephone companies
have.  Furthermore, being a "common carrier" includes not only protections
but obligations.  The saying "be careful what you wish for" applies.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>